Frequently Asked Questions
How much storage space is available ?
The system is experimental so currently each user has a quota of 10 MiB.
Can I recover my data if I loose my password ?
Because the password is not stored on the server there is no way to
recover your data.
How can I upload a file to the virtual machine ?
Click on the up arrow below the terminal. The file(s) will be
copied to your home directory.
How can I export a file from the virtual machine ?
How can I copy and paste data to the web terminal ?
To copy data, just select it with the mouse and use the "Copy"
contextual menu (right click). To paste data, select the "Paste
Here" area below the terminal and use the "Paste" contextual menu
Note: copy/paste of files is not supported.
When using the vfsync command line utility, which URL
corresponds to my account ?
The URL is
is your user name. To checkout your account
vfsync -u user co https://vfsync.org/u/user/home my_home
Can I have a public account that other people can use ?
Yes. The URL is
is your user name. You can use it to publish
customized virtual machines. Anyone can read the files, but only you
can modify them.
Can I access to the network from the virtual machine ?
Yes it is possible. It uses the websocket VPN offered by Benjamin Burns
don't abuse the service.
In the desktop virtual machine it is also possible to configure the
network access. See
Can I change the amount of RAM of the web virtual machine ? Can
I change the size of the terminal ?
Yes. There are many options that can be selected just by adding
parameters to the URL. For example:
- url sets the virtual machine filesystem URL
- mem sets the memory size in MB
- cpu selects the cpu type: x86, riscv64 or riscv32 (default = x86)
- cols number of columns of the terminal (default = 80)
- rows number of lines of the terminal (default = 30)
- font_size font size in pixels (default = 15)
- graphic 0=terminal GUI, 1=frame buffer GUI (default = 0)
- w width in pixels of the frame buffer (only meaningful with graphic=1)
- h height in pixels of the frame buffer (only meaningful with graphic=1)
- cmdline adds parameters to the kernel command
line (you can get them as environment variables if the kernel
does not use them). Use the URL escape
the "=" character. The following variables are recognized by
the VM init script:
- KBMAP set the default keyboard mapping in X window or in the Linux frame buffer console (.e.g fr, us, de, ...).
- net_url sets the URL of the websocket VPN. An
empty value disables network access. A default VPN URL
is set if the option is not present.
How can I customize a virtual machine and reference it from my
web site ?
is your user name.
guest user account is populated with the content
https://vfsync.org/u/user/pub. You can define
.profile shell script in order to execute commands when
the VM starts.